Friday 25 September 2015

A little something different!

With Christmas Craft Fair season being upon us, I thought I would try my hand at something that will hopefully sell well at the few fairs I have signed up for... heat embossed slate coasters.
I came across these little beautes a few days ago when out shopping and you know how us crafters are... 'ooh, I could do something with those' lol.
I tried a few designs with just ink to see how they would hold up. I wasnt iverly fussed on 3 of the designs I tried out but quite liked the fourth snowflake one. I washed the other designs straight away and thankfully they washed fine leaving me a blank canvas again. The snowflake one I left a while to see how it would take. I left it about an hour then wiped off. This one took a little more scrubbing as it was leaving an almost watermarked look which, pretty as it was would be no food for the long term.
Second thought was to try hear embossing them so I stamped all 4 coasters with versamark ink and a snowflake stamp I had in my stash (I'm guessing it was part of a free magazine gift stamp set as thats where a lot of my stamps come from) and heat embossed it with a white embossing powder. This took really well (bar the few loose specs lol) and came out really clear on the slate.
Tried wiping (ok scrubbing hard) with a sponge (after burning my hand... the slate is REALLY warm for ages after embossing) and the images stayed in tact. I also put a really hot plate on it at dinner time to check the heat of the plate didnt affect the embossing or melt the powder more! All good there. Finally I brought them to mums for tea and we all used them, spilled our tea on them and then cleaned them after. All remained perfect so happy days.
Really like this idea so I'm thinking of making a fair few more in different designs and maybe colours depending on how they look against the slate but hoping I've a seller here. I havent seen thease being sold at any fairs I've been at so fingers crossed.
Anyways... here they are :).

3 comments:

  1. Hello Stacey, These are just fabulous and look amazing. Hope your craft fairs go well.

    Jade xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Stacey.... what a clever idea! I'm impressed with that.... xx

    ReplyDelete