Thursday 1 October 2015

My first mixed media piece :)

So I went shopping yesterday for things to make a mixed media piece. Of course I had NO idea what I needed or even what I wanted to make... I just knew I wanted to attempt a mixed media something or other. I ended up buying a couple of canvases, paint brushes and a few colours of acrylic paints (some of which were metallic and look pretty cool). My sister had some texture paste she wasnt using too so gave it to me. Sorted! Lol. 
To do the background of the canvas, I painted some pink acrylic on 2 corners taking it quite far intonthe middle if the cancas and put the metallic green on the rest that was still white. I got a small spray bottle and mixed some bronze metallic acrylic paint with water and sprayed all over the cancas with it. I has also bought aome cosmic shimmer ink mists in a blue and pink (will get actual colour names in morning) and sprayed thise on too. Using a circle stencil I had, I used texture paste to add some dimension and when dry put some more of the paint on it. 
Looking through a challenge blog, I came across Oddball stamps. I had never seen these digis before but loved how quirky they were and thought they'd look perfect in a mixed media piece. 
I had no idea where to find the digis so to google I went and found them. I'm going to be really nice to you all and link the digi I used :p. Its found here on Oddball Art Co etsy page. I used my Craft Artist 2 software to flip the image (forgetting that there was wording on the hoodie which also flipped... whoops lol but seeing as its for me it'll do fine lol) as I needed it to fit on the right hand side of my canvas and wouldnt have fitted if I kept it as it was. I coloured the image using my Spectrum Noirs and cut around it placing it where I wanted on the canvas. I had come across the saying 'Be yourself... an original is worth more than a copy' earlier so wanted to incorporate that in too. I wrote part in the thought bubble in the image and the rest I wrote in individual blocks to cut out and then distressed them with shaded lilac distress inks. To stick them to my canvas, I used glue which ended up taking some of the colour from my cosmic shimmee sprays and discoloured my wording. I initially thought I had destryoed my piece then but found the more I looked at it the more I started to like it lol.
To finish off, i drew some flowea, birds and faux stitching with a black permanent marker (my fine liner decoded to stop working :( ) and added liquid pearls to the middle of the flowers and glossy accents to the skull on the girls hoodie and the coloured parts of her eyes. I still found it plain or lacking somethin so when i came across a die cut with a bit of lattice I thought I would try using that as a mask and stamp through it with my pearlescent white memento ink pad. This definitely helped tie it together more and brighten the canvas as it was a tad dark looking.
Not sure if ive completely finished it but I definitely am done for the night lol. Ill look over it again tomorrow with fresh eyes and see what I think but for now here it is...
Hope you like :)

No comments:

Post a Comment