Sunday 4 October 2015

Christmas clock.

After watching a craft programme on one of the craft channels where a clock face had been designed to look like scrapbook layout, i decided I really wanted to give this a go as not only qould it be something really different and unusual, but it woukd be something ypu could display in the house that would have a practical use as well as just looking pretty.
I ordered an mdf clock a day or two later and waited patiently for it to arrive. Iin the mean time, I looked online for pictures of other scrapbook style clocks (silly me forgot to record the programme I watched) and couldnt come across any which meant by the time my clock came, I hadnt a notion how to decorate it anymore. Typical me lol.
Instead, I figured I'd try a mixed media Christmas style clock that would look pretty at Christmas time.
First, I primed my clock with homemade Gesso as I planned on painting it. Once dry, I used acrylic paint to paint the base a bright blue. Using an old credit card, I scraped texture paste onto the bottom of the clock to look like snow. The card left a lovely tough texture when I patted all over the texture paste with it (it needed to be put on thick to get the effect). I tried stamping the images from a Stampin Up stamp set (possibly called Snow Much Fun?) onto newpaper to get anprinted effect but I didnt like how it looked so I stamped onto cream linen card instead and using ine of the sentiment stamps in the set, I did some second generation stamping all over the images. I then coloured them using my Spectrum Noir markers and glued them onto the clock base. I went over the texture paste again to thicken it and to 'ground' the images and using the sponge brush I used for that, I dabbed all over the blue sky with the texture paste to create a snow falling effect. Lastly, I die cut some numbers (12, 3, 6 and 9) from some holographic silver card and stuck those on too. 
The clock face did come with hands however I didnt really like them so I plan on using ink or heat embossing them to change colour so they match better or maybe just buy a new set. I also need to buy the mechanism for the clock and once assembled, the clock will be finished. I really like how the clock came out tho and plan on making a few more for upcoming craft fairs.
Pictures below!

No comments:

Post a Comment